Saturday, July 30, 2011

In Memoriam

I woke up yesterday as usual, worrying about school and the incoming Midterms week. Since I'm late, I just opened my inbox without really reading them. And so, rushing towards the university, I readied myself for another onslaught of student life, thinking how troublesome it is.

And then a shock presented itself to me in a form of another text message, telling me that I will never receive again any message from the person the message is talking about. Not quite ready to believe, I scanned my messages earlier, for surely her closest friends will have sent similar texts. Well, those texts that I ignored confirmed what I was hoping to be false.

Her name is Monette (I hope she doesn't mind if I use her name), 4th year BS Psychology student in Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila. My classmate in Ramon Magsaysay High School for three years, three short years in which, together with the rest of the our section, we forged different kinds of relationships, full of laughs, tears, hopes and fears. I guess I'm not the one to say many things about her, since I'm not really close to her. A few hellos here and there whenever I saw her, a few text conversations, but nothing else. I regret that. I regret that I haven't done anything to know her more. She is making me experience and appreciate the old phrase, "Regret is always felt at the end."

How unfair it is, for one of our comrades to be taken in our midst, when her life had only just started! How unfair that she would no longer wake up in the morning, talk to her friends, worry, hope, fall in love! How unfair that the world, our world, had lost a wonderful person! How unfair...

Yet, I was reassured by her last group message that I sadly have deleted. "Everything happens for a reason." I feel she wanted us to know that everything's going to be fine, that whatever happens, we will always be connected by bonds stronger than the strongest of metals. That wherever she may be, she will always be in our hearts.

Goodbye and thank you! Revel and enjoy in the Kingdom of God!

1 comment: